Thursday, March 14, 2013

Jupiter and 4 Moons

Jupiter and 4 moons 3/13/13. The camera quality blurs the 4th moon.
We are excited and amazed to show you today's picture. While searching for the Comet PannStarrs, it was determined at that time to be a bit too overcast. So instead, a lovely gentleman from the Southern Colorado Astronomy Society pointed his telescope to Jupiter for us. Now mind you, this photo was taken through the telescope lens with an ipod. He helped me hold it in place- both lenses were tiny in the dark and hard to align, so as he held it, I snapped the picture, and viola! Well, viola! aside from that I was actually trying to use my iphone camera which was a bit sharper, but me being me, the battery went dead as we were trying to align the lenses. So, while this photo is still amazing, let me fill in the blanks. What we were actually able to see was even the brownish, reddish/white bands, and the "great red spot". Jupiter was tilted to the side, along with 4 of its aprox. 63 moons. Totally clear, brilliantly bright. Breathtaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment