Thursday, April 5, 2012

Quiet Excitement

One of two deer on the loose in Aberdeen.

Our family, when we are out for drives in the mountains, has an on going bet to see who can spot the first signs of wildlife.

Well, today I win a dollar and it was in the middle of town! 

This not so little guy and I literally almost ran into each other this morning. Out for my usual walk/jog (aka the "wog"), with music blaring through my headphones, I saw in the distance something running straight towards me! 

I thought it was just one of the many dogs that barked at me along my route.  It wasn't till I got closer that it's size startled me. At first I thought it was the Great Dane I had passed in the park, but then quickly realized it was even too big for a dog! I slowed, preparing to flee in the other direction when my eyes finally focused on this majestic looking deer.

I scared him too. 

As soon as his eyes focused on me, (he probably wasn't wearing his glasses either), 
he shot a sharp right to turn into a nearby driveway.
But then, curiously he stopped and just stood there looking at me. 

I wondered why he stood there. Usually they get scared and run off. I sensed his hesitation to run. Was I the "Deer Whisperer"? No. I soon realized I was standing between him and his companion. 

Right behind me was another creature as gorgeous and as large as he was. 

...And there I was standing in the middle of the street, hardly containing my excitement, scrambling in my pockets for my camera, while frantically, yet quietly, trying to call attention to someone, anyone else, nearby to see. 

I know these guys are seen frequently in this neighborhood, and are a dime a dozen around this state, but do you ever notice how excited most of get when we spot one and we have to shout out 
"Look! A deer!"?


No comments:

Post a Comment