Monday, April 2, 2012

Colorado Blue Spruce




Colorado's official state tree, the Blue Spruce.
This giant is a perfect specimen of the spruces mentioned to be in the aboretum.
Its close to 3 stories tall and aprox. 30 feet wide.- off Carlile Ave.
The inspiration for today's photo was this past weekend's Chieftain article about a historical arboretum walk in City Park. I was much younger then, but I remember when the tree walk was partially intact. We weren't allowed in the park alone till we were much older, but I remember wandering off from time to time, playing or chasing after our escapee dog "Blackie" and stopping to read the markers on, and identifying certain trees - it was all so interesting and romantic to a young mind.  I believe it was that, combined with my dad's frequent reciting of the Joyce Kilmer poem "Trees" that sparked, and passed on his love of nature to me.  I even dedicated a big science project to both the poem and trees, and its a fascination that continues to this day.  We here at PPAD wish Pat McCracken all the luck in updating the brochure for this walk and can't wait to see the finished project.  To see the article click here. To read the Joyce Kilmer poem "I think that I shall never see..." click here

No comments:

Post a Comment