Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Early Arugula and Butter

Arugula and butter lettuce curls. Lettuce flourishes in a spring garden. This is the perfect time to start your spring potager.
I know keeping my garden seeds in one big basket tends to mix things, however, I was surprised when my salad greens sprouted right next to our tulips! I noticed little curls coming right at the stem of the tulips that were a different color and shape than your normal weed, so I decided watch it and see what it might be. A few other tulips developed red arugula shaped leaves, so curiously I kept watching and watering. Before you know it we had a whole salad in our tulip bed! These crispy leaves did better than the lettuce box I planted in the actual potager. They flourished in the sun of a south facing bed, and we were treated to a garden fresh salad for dinner last night.

Pluck a few handfuls of greens, wash well, add wedges of Cherokee Purple Heirloom Tomatoes, onion slices and drizzle with balsamic vinegar, and a tiny dollop of blue cheese and there yo have it!

No comments:

Post a Comment