Thursday, May 3, 2012

Anticipation...

A peony romance novel
Those of you who love peonies know what a rare treat this is to find randomly growing in your yard.
Peonies, gorgeous as they are, tend to be a bit sulky and hard to grow  -  except the abandoned house down the block that grows them in bushels. But my envy digresses me... The peony has to have just the right amount of heat. The leaves have to be just the right shade of green, and the roots have to have the right amount of sugar, or these beauties simply will not bloom. Sometimes sulking for years before gracing the world with their heavenly scent.

Much to my delight I found this little bud covered in the depths of overgrown vines, mean, poking and woody old thorn bushes, and annoying masses of elm tree shoots! Quickly I became focused on saving her!  Thrashing about with my clippers and shovel till no other plant was within reach.
Giving her the sun. Giving her oceans of water. And there she sits. Like a queen on her bushy green throne. Staring at me. Making me wait. Making me wonder.
Will she? Or won't she?

No comments:

Post a Comment