Thursday, May 31, 2012

(Green)House of Earl

This covered greenhouse, found on Washington St. on the edge of the Mesa Junction neighborhood, is dug 4 ft. into the ground and keeps plants warm in winter and cool in the summer!
On one of our recent marathon morning walks we met a most interesting gentleman named Earl and his lady, Virginia. Upon passing their home, Virginia inquired with us if we were here for the
"Plant Sale". Well naturally my ears perked us as I exclaimed "Plant Sale? Why of course!". Virginia led us from the front of her house to the side where she and Earl had long tables set up towards the back of the driveway, with pots and pots of plants. But what normally would have kept me ogling for minutes on end quickly became an obstacle for me to get to something that totally amazed me. The length of the backyard was a continuous greenhouse! It was actually 3 or 4 butted up right against each other, with no covers on so you could see the seedlings directly in them, with yet another house off to the side with the cover on!  I had to gasp as my mind took this all in. I am strictly an amateur gardener, but to me I had unwittingly stepped into a back yard I could only wish for! I understand most people's ideas of a dream back yard include grandiose views or swimming pools, but give me a greenhouse any day!  Clearly these people know what they are doing!

Not only does Earl grow all of his plants from seeds, he's like a plant scientist! He creates "Worm Tea", which can be sprayed on plants or throughout the yard, to help vitalize the soil and make things grow better. He also makes sort of like a soil with worm casings to improve soil conditions. I know what you are thinking, but worms are great for your garden! I believe its Oregon State University he is working on tests with, and significant improvement has been shown. We definitely want to give his lawn spray service a try sometime soon.

So, you never know who you are going to meet when you are out for a morning walk! We thank you Earl and Virginia for giving us the tour!  The plant sale is every weekend and you are welcome to stop by. Check in with us tomorrow for more info!

No comments:

Post a Comment